Sunday 12 November 2017

I'm Back! (Again)

Hey folks! Here I am, back again. It's been nearly 7 months since my last post, and what a 7 months it's been! We've had the release of 8th, along with several codices and new models. I've played a fair few games of 8th now and I am having a real love/hate relationship with it; more on this below.

I've just got back last night from taking part in Never Mind The Blog Wars, Alex Brown's (From The Fang) latest event and it has left me feeling torn. Last night I knew I had had three fun games, won one of them and generally had a great day of gaming. I predicted being in the lower end of the table but I knew I was neither last or second last (those people had had their 'rewards'). I was happy yesterday, and that was that. This morning I saw the rankings. 28/30. I really didn't think I had done that badly. It really left me feeling a bit flat and torn because I had basically enjoyed being terrible at 40K.

I think this is a general indicator of how I feel about 8th so far. I love the rule set. It plays well. It's simple to pick up and yet complicated enough still with unit rules, and the new mechanics and way things work are great. I just seem to hate actually playing. I think it's because I still want to be able to mix it up and take any units I like (as opposed to the "best units") and this doesn't seem to be the case, at least for the armies I play. I am still on mostly Index armies (Blood Angels, T'au, Harlequins, Imperial Knights) and maybe this is why I am struggling. The released codices seem to allow more flexibility for their armies. Case in point is Astra Militarum who seem to be able to take just about anything and still be brutally effective (I may do a post soon about why I think the new system has turned them into a murder machine).



So I have two things I am going to do at this moment. First, I am going to carry on anxiously waiting to see how the Blood Angels codex treats us when it is released in the next weeks, while continuing to paint them up, just in case they are decent this time. Second, I am going to start trying lists that include everything that other people classify as the good units/loadouts to take.

Just to clarify, Never Mind The Blog Wars was a great event, as all of Alex' events have been. It was my own shocking performance that has disappointed me!

6 comments:

  1. If your having fun playing terribly does it really matter? It would be a lot worse playing terribly and not enjoying it. If your having fun with the hobby, then i think that where you place doesn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're absolutely right. I'm confused why the placing left me so deflated when I had enjoyed the day. Clearly where I come in the rankings means more to me than I thought. The only solution is to try harder I think! :)

      Delete
  2. 8th seems to bea very different beast, I keep finding that. I have to say though that all of my games on Saturday were awesome. They felt Tactical in a way I've not experienced in 8th which is interesting given I didn't actually win any game on Tactical objecectives but won all three on Blood Points, which Ben pointed out was therefore not winning any game ;)

    Playing the game is the most fun but we all expect to succeed a little, there's no harm in that. I was actually chuffed after the first game with my result and overall just glad it didn't feel so brutal. To be fair it did appear I was on the giving rather than the receiving end of killiness.

    Maybe Codexes will help redress the balance, I gues sit just needs a lot more patience. The most important thing for me is I had a good time and so did my mates. None of their results have led them to abandon 40k in disgust. I'd advocate taking the same approach. Enjoy the game, learn from the losses and so long as you're still having fun maybe the balance will eventually come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never say I'm quitting 40K. I've been down that road only to realise it's like the Prisoner or the Hotel California; you can never leave. All that achieves is egg and my face being in alignment lol.

      I was debating selling off my T'au and maybe a few other bits though, purely because I think I have spread myself too thin in the hobby, both in gaming and painting. I'll revisit that idea in the new year maybe.

      Our game was great fun Dave, and I suspect part of that is because we were both wielding Index armies, and the Indices do, largely, seem to be balanced with each other. I will gather my codices over the next few months and see how it goes.

      Delete
  3. Just imagine how great you may feel when you win!? Welcome back, great way to come back, glad you had a great time, results don’t matter, the enjoyment, camaraderie and social aspect of the weekend is more important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the important things and it was a great day as always. Someone's got to be at the bottom I suppose. In a way, I am performing a service populating 3rd from last place haha

      Delete